Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Metaphysical Roller Coasters and Modern Day Pioneers

The ongoing recession accompanied by the Swine Flu outbreak has really shaken me up. I am sure I am not the only one and maybe it is because my husband is a current unemployment statistic, but it has really made me rethink a lot of things.

One of which is waste. I waste so many things; food, space, time... I started to look at ways to live a simpler life. What would it be like to wake up and not have to spend 10 hours away from home... What do I really want out of life? What kind of environment do I want my kids to grow up in?
On this metaphysical roller coaster, I stumbled upon some interesting things one of which was housing.
I thought there was only one way to look at housing and that was the traditional 30 year mortgage. But there is a whole movement dedicated to sustainable living. To living on your own terms in your own way. To being free from waste and making the planet a better place. Having recently read Walden, I have begun to ask myself is this worth my life? Is this fill in the blank worth the time it took to make the money for it? Is 30 years of my life worth a 3 bedroom adobe in the suburbs.
Take a look at some of the cool unconventional housing I found...
So, this is the first installment of what will be a closer look at real alternative housing...

Tipis or teepees
Tipis served as homes for native Americans for thousands of years. The flawless engineering that provides instant shelter and comfort for not a lot of time or work really got me thinking. Could my 21st century family really live in one of these things? I think the answer is yes.



Photos from Earthworks Tipis


Can you believe this is the INSIDE of the tipi?


Hook up my high speed internet and I am there!



0 comments: